Is Your Copier Data Safe?
As you may know, early this year the CBS Evening News featured a story about security and the ease of extracting data from Multifunction Printers (MFPs). The investigation centered on digital copiers containing a hard drive, much like the one on your personal computer that store images of every document copied, scanned, or emailed from individual machines. CBS went to a warehouse/liquidator and, with forensic software downloaded from the internet; they were able to obtain sensitive documents from each machine including records from police departments and insurance companies.
Now that we have your attention let’s talk about what you need to know to protect your data and how Copeco is your partner in achieving that goal.
Here are a few questions to ask your representative about data security:
- Does my copier have a hard drive and if so, does it have a built in utility to erase data?
- What options are available that will allow me to protect, encrypt or erase my data?
- What policies and procedures do you, the vendor, have in place to make sure that my data remains safe or is erased properly?
As your partner in security, Copeco has created the following policy to address the questions above.
- Many of the newer copiers have built in hard drives however, there are some that do not—if you are unsure please contact Copeco and we will let you know
- Most new Sharp copiers have a built in utility to erase or reformat your drive. Additionally, some of our Sharp products are equipped with a kit that will encrypt all data and erase the hard drive after every job.
- Copeco offers a variety of services to erase your data depending upon your service contract and equipment. Please review our security policy to determine which service is right for you.
Your data security is essential and it is our job to make sure that you are protected. Customer service is our top priority and we are here to make sure all your needs are addressed. If you have any questions about your current copier data security please feel to put them in the comment section and we will be sure to answer them as quickly as possible.